Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Genting Highlands.

When I was younger, around the age of 3-5 years old I remember that Genting was way different that it is recently. I mean that was the 90s around 1997 to 1999. My old picture of genting was way better than it is today. I mean sure most of you would reckon the new Genting Highlands is cooler with the new First World Plaza and all that. But my old view of the place is a peaceful retreat that people go for the fresh air.

The Environment.
So I remember when I was a little boy. My mum would wake me up very early in the morning and carry while I was still in my pajamas into the car. There we would drive to Genting. Nowadays when you go there. The mountain is actually bright and sunny. But when I was younger. I remember it was cloudy,misty and very cold. I think the pollution has definitely ruined my view of Genting as a peaceful retreat. There was once while driving there , I saw halfway up the mountain, two statues of sumo wrestlers and some huge mushrooms. But nowadays when we go there they are gone. Maybe some older people might remember it. Anyone who was a teenager from the 90s remember????I think the way we got there was through a different road.

The Place.
I'm sure many of you all know that the indoor theme park use to be in the Highlands Hotel!!It was until three or four years ago that they move it to the newly built First World Hotel. Back then, the indoor theme park I remember had a bumper car for kids and one for adult. Then there was a Safari ride which was lame. All it had was wall painted with funny looking animals. Now I must say Genting modernized a lot. There is also one train ride and next to it a boat ride. Not the new boat ride at First World but a simple yet pleasant boat ride meant for kids. Then there was a motion master there in the indoor theme park and I remember next to it there was something like a space ride. Sadly I never got the chance to ride the space ride because last time I was short and by the time I got tall enough they moved the indoor theme park to First World Hotel *sob**sob*.

My old view of Genting.
I seem to always get the picture of a vending machine when I think of the old genting highlands.When I close my eyes ,I only see this only rectangle vending machine with Yeos drink like the lychee and chrysanthemum and soya bean. Those really old vending machine not like the new ones this day with the big coca-cola picture. I mean the really old ones where they actually use the drink box to represent the drink you choose. I love those vending machine. I think if you go genting now theres still one or two working ones in the lift areas. I wish I could see those vending machines forever.

My new Genting.
I must say I'm proud of what Lim Goh Tong's son has done to make Genting progress more and more. But I am also a shame of what he has done to the forest. Genting use to be peaceful and nice but then again when you think of all the GAMBLING and negative side. It really wrecks my view. But the bright side is the New First World Hotel and Plaza is GREAT!!!Oh yea......I must tell you if you choose to go to Goh Tong Jaya please enjoy the mamak there. They have the best roti canai that my dad and my bro and me and Weng Kit and Weng Fei enjoy. And the restaurant there is awesome. Try the shrimp omelletes and crispy sliced black sauce pork there.

So I guess Genting has changed alot in this few years and it will continue to change. One thing I now is it will always be in our hearts as a place of fun for Families, Friends, Lovers and even the kids who fight to get to the rides first ;)

No comments: