Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chinese New Year Blues...

Ahhh...Chinese New Year. If a stranger walks up to me and asks me to decided which festivities I like most CNY or Christmas or Valentines Day. I would choose CNY. The reason would be plain and simple. I love Christmas after all it is Jesus' birthday. Which makes it important but you know we only celebrate his birth once a year and not everyday as we should (its his birthday!). So I not satisfied with just one day of Christmas and Valentines Day I don't celebrate because ......well I simply can't.....I guess I too follow Weng Teik's opinion of POWER OF SINGLENESS. But Chinese New Year is simply different. I like the way we gather together for like around one week or two of festivities.

Great parts of CNY
-I like the snacks my mum makes for CNY. However because she was away in Australia for so long and when they came back they decided not to make it so I missed one year but it's the thought that they remember that counts I guess.
-I love the way my family switch on the air conditioner when all the relatives are around.
-We play card games and mahjong (I play too!) in the air conditioned room while eating snacks...
-Traditionally me,weng kit ,my bro and weng fei would gather and play playstation 2. For like three years in a row until recently since we all grown up.
-I love the dinners.
-Ang Pao's just two words Ang Pao....red packets!

CNY PAST
In the past I remember my older relatives told me that they had the same amount of fun living in the 9 level building in KL though they couldn't afford the stuff we had now. When I was a kid I did not like CNY so much like now cause last time when your young all they make you do is sit with them in the house while they celebrated. When I was 5 to 8 I did not eat much so dinners didn't matter , no card games,PS2 hasn't been created and my ang pao money my parent's would keep. But as I got older me and my close relatives could really celebrate. We could play games, play fire crackers and keep the ang pao we collect by buying stuff we like!!!!! So i guess it's much more fun when your older.

CNY NOW
Since I'm grown up I truly feel the importance. Sharing the moment with your family , having a nice dinner. Visiting places once a year. A part of my CNY life was going to Genting. Yes the place would be packed!! but we stay in the apartment in the near the peak of Genting. Same cool weather but less people. We go to the theme parks in the day and go back to the apartment(Gohtong Jaya) at night. There was once me,weng fei,my broand weng kit stayed in an apartment to ourselves on a seperate block from the elders. We had the greatest time ever. We played games and playstation till early morning. Then late in the morning we walked to the other block for breakfast. At night we had steamboat. I think it is the feeling of freedom which brought us joy. Nowadays as we celebrate us youngsters do our own stuff sometimes we hang out with elders and sometimes we do stuff that we choose to. Which was the beauty of it.

CNY Future.
Not really sure about this but I can make promises for everyone. One thing I can tell you is as long as God allows me to reach the future of CNY. I would ensure continuous joy to my family and friends in the future. I think I will follow my families tradition of going to Genting Highlands. But I would be different with actually staying in Genting Highlands at the peak. Maybe occasionally if it's really packed I would choose GohTong as well. I will surely rent the house my dad bought a few years ago (hope the Genting people didn't touch it ....i wish to see my old toys!!).Maybe celebrations in Melbourne by then would be much cooler than now.

So I guess CNY would forever be the same if we choose it to be. Here a song you should check out in my imeem music playlist over there > its by sam hui track 2 on my playlist.In English it's called congratulations ! congratulations!. It's really meaningful and it brings much joy to me because I always hear it in my aunts car in February this year.

No comments: